Definition of crepitus in English:
1A grating sound or sensation produced by friction between bone and cartilage or the fractured parts of a bone.
- Physical examination frequently reveals crepitus at the fracture site.
- The patella and its supporting structures, bilateral joint lines and collateral ligaments are palpated for tenderness, crepitus and localized swelling.
- The knee often clicks as it moves through its range of movement and usually the patient feels and hears grating or crepitus under their kneecap.
1.1The production of crepitations in the lungs; rale.
- Palpate the chest for subcutaneous emphysema and crepitus, and percuss for dullness, an indication of consolidations or effusions.
- Some had opportunities to palpate subcutaneous crepitus, others could see effects and treatment of respiratory/metabolic acid-base imbalances.
- The presence of crepitus indicates subcutaneous emphysema.
Early 19th century: from Latin, from crepare 'rattle'.
Words that rhyme with crepitusIapetus
Definition of crepitus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan