- 1A grating sound or sensation produced by friction between bone and cartilage or the fractured parts of a bone.More example sentences
- Physical examination frequently reveals crepitus at the fracture site.
- The patella and its supporting structures, bilateral joint lines and collateral ligaments are palpated for tenderness, crepitus and localized swelling.
- The knee often clicks as it moves through its range of movement and usually the patient feels and hears grating or crepitus under their kneecap.
- 1.1The production of crepitations in the lungs; rale.More example sentences
- Palpate the chest for subcutaneous emphysema and crepitus, and percuss for dullness, an indication of consolidations or effusions.
- Some had opportunities to palpate subcutaneous crepitus, others could see effects and treatment of respiratory/metabolic acid-base imbalances.
- The presence of crepitus indicates subcutaneous emphysema.
early 19th century: from Latin, from crepare 'rattle'.
More definitions of crepitusDefinition of crepitus in:
- The British & World English dictionary