Definition of cribellum in English:
noun (plural cribella /-ˈbelə/)Zoology
(In some spiders) an additional spinning organ with numerous fine pores, situated in front of the spinnerets.
- The cribellum is a cigar-shaped plate on the underside of the abdomen, in front of the spinnerets.
- Six spinnerets with different types of spigots and a specialised spinning organ called the cribellum.
- Cribellate silk is combed out from the cribellum using the calamistrum, a group of specialized, curved setae on the metatarsus of the fourth leg.
late 19th century: from late Latin, diminutive of cribrum 'sieve'.
- Example sentences
- Many of the cribellate species are distinctly arboreal, building their small webs on branch tips.
- Classification of the cribellate spiders and some allied families.
- This month we have something totally different - a cribellate species, Amaurobius similis.
Pronunciation: /ˈkribələt, -ˌlāt/adjective
Definition of cribellum in:
- British & World English dictionary