- The warm summer air whipped through Chris' open window blowing with it the sounds of crickets chirping.
- The only sound heard was crickets, chirping their nightly tunes hidden somewhere in the darkness.
- She sniffed delicately as her ears moved to the sounds of crickets chirping.
Middle English: from Old French criquet, from criquer 'to crackle', of imitative origin.
Cricket is played mainly in Britain and in territories formerly under British rule, including Australia, South Africa, the West Indies, New Zealand, and the Indian subcontinent. The full game with two innings per side can last several days; shorter matches are usual at the amateur level and have become popular at the professional level since the 1960s
- The village has a good sports field with football and cricket teams.
- So many runs in three days of cricket can't be a good wicket for Test match cricket.
- The lack of patience from their batsmen has often been the bane of Bangladesh's cricket team.
late 16th century: of unknown origin.
- British informal A thing contrary to traditional standards of fairness or rectitude.Example sentences
- Critics will argue that such a deliberate attempt to dupe the press - especially by fellow journalists - is simply not cricket.
- Blustering racial epithets simply is not cricket, and it's a positive move by the ICC to punish offenders.
- This caused a considerable diplomatic and press furore and coined the term ‘It's not cricket!’
- Example sentences
- He made a distinguished television programme about cricketer Colin Cowdrey.
- Towards the end of his life, from a whole century of cricketers, he selected the very finest twelve for his ideal team.
- England's cricketers could hardly get any decent cricket before the Ashes.
- Example sentences
- Australian cricketing hero Shane Warne was awarded Overseas Sports Personality of the Year.
- Why did you choose cricket and how did you develop your cricketing abilities as a youngster?
- That is why the basic lesson we teach the young players in the cricketing academies around the world is to forge and sustain the team spirit.