Definition of crier in English:
1An officer who makes public announcements in a court of justice.
- The crier calls out that court will reconvene tomorrow at 10 a.m.
- A call would be made by the public crier, instructing that Armenian males should present themselves at a government building.
- ‘The king has gone blind, and only the blood of the Kaha bird can save him,’ the crier announced.
1.1 short for town crier.
- Mr Collier, who was one of the first five criers to perform, said: ‘This was my first real big championships.’
- Instead of getting their information from the crier, the citizens would huddle around a piece of paper to have someone read it to them.
- As well as taking part in the official contest, the criers spent both days helping guide visitors around Haworth.
Late Middle English: from Old French criere, from crier 'to shout'.
Words that rhyme with crieracquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.