An echinoderm of the class Crinoidea, which comprises the sea lilies and feather stars.
- Commonly, the host is a brachiopod, but it may be a coral, bryozoan colony, crinoid stem, or mollusk.
- The entire fauna is typically shallow-marine, composed of crinoids, brachiopods, corals, and bryozoans.
- Gogia is an eocrinoid, a member of a grouping of early echinoderms that probably included the ancestors of true crinoids and other echinoderm taxa.
Relating to or denoting crinoids.
- Grainy rocks in the upper third contain an abundance of disarticulated crinoid debris.
- Alpha taxonomy must still play a vital role in the crinoid research agenda.
- The fauna is dominated by common fenestrate bryozoans and crinoid ossicles.
- Example sentences
- Lithologically, the most abundant carbonate rock type is an argillaceous, coarse-grained crinoidal packstone, but finer grained packstones, grainstones, calcareous siltstones, and shales are also present.
- The echinoderms appear to be particularly abundant in an interval up to 0.5 m below a 25-30 cm ledge-forming crinoidal grainstone with small micritic bioherms.
- The Haight Creek is primarily composed of dolomitic mudstones and wackestones with abundant chert interbeds and thin, discontinuous crinoidal packstones.
Words that rhyme with crinoidechinoid
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of crinoid in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.