Definition of critical mass in English:
1 Physics The minimum amount of fissile material needed to maintain a nuclear chain reaction.
- Just two months earlier, the Observer published internal documents indicating that there had been eight breaches of safety rules intended to prevent critical masses of fissile material being brought together.
- Its basic principle is assembling a critical mass of a radioactive element with properties to spark a swift chain reaction.
- Such explosions are caused by the accumulation of a critical mass of material falling onto the neutron star from a partner.
2The minimum size or amount of something required to start or maintain a venture: a communication system is of no value unless there is a critical mass of users
More example sentences
- The multicultural marketplace has reached critical mass, and it requires a new approach.
- But until the market reaches a critical mass, dealers have to turn to other revenue streams to keep going.
- Stephens said the company is talking to a number of larger domain name registrars about using their services as a channel to reach the required critical mass of customers.
Definition of critical mass in:
- British & World English dictionary