Definition of critical mass in English:
1 Physics The minimum amount of fissile material needed to maintain a nuclear chain reaction.
- Just two months earlier, the Observer published internal documents indicating that there had been eight breaches of safety rules intended to prevent critical masses of fissile material being brought together.
- Its basic principle is assembling a critical mass of a radioactive element with properties to spark a swift chain reaction.
- Such explosions are caused by the accumulation of a critical mass of material falling onto the neutron star from a partner.
2The minimum size or amount of something required to start or maintain a venture: a communication system is of no value unless there is a critical mass of users
More example sentences
- The multicultural marketplace has reached critical mass, and it requires a new approach.
- But until the market reaches a critical mass, dealers have to turn to other revenue streams to keep going.
- Stephens said the company is talking to a number of larger domain name registrars about using their services as a channel to reach the required critical mass of customers.
Definition of critical mass in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan