Definition of cropper in English:
1A plant that yields a crop of a specified kind or in a specified way: the white-fleshed varieties are the heaviest croppers
More example sentences
- When buying seeds to grow yourself, choose early and late croppers so that you extend the season.
- He also knew that the Inca potato, unlike modern varieties, was not a good cropper.
- It is a good, regular cropper but never produces a particularly heavy crop.
2A machine or person that cuts or trims something, such as wool off a sheep or the pile of a carpet during manufacture.
- Bolt croppers, a sledge hammer and mobile phones were thrown from a Ford Mondeo at chasing police cars.
- ‘Last Friday, between 1pm and 3pm, two garages were broken into by thieves who used bolt croppers.’
- He said that travellers had used bolt croppers on the chains securing the gate to gain access to the land.
3chiefly US A person who raises a crop, especially as a sharecropper.
- Census data shows that more croppers were black than white, but economic and agricultural conditions in the Depression caused a great many white farmers to become tenants or croppers.
- I also got the trade of the farmers, the croppers and the hands from the outlying country.
- Their analogy between slavery and sharecropping provides a specialized instance of the objectification of croppers in the book.
come a cropper
- informal Fall heavily.Example sentences
- True, he has, at times, come a cropper over fences but he had no difficulty handling the jumping last year.
- To-date motorists unlucky enough to have come a cropper on the spillages have, at least, survived the experience.
- The day before he should have been in London to pick up an award for his stunning pile-up picture of cyclists coming a cropper in the Sydney Olympics.
- 1.1Suffer a defeat or disaster: the club’s challenge for the championship has come a cropperMore example sentences
- Having excelled at the Commonwealth championship, the women came a cropper in Canada, failing to win a single medal.
- Some apple and kiwfruit growers are facing big income drops this year as marketers have come a cropper in Europe and America.
- Then he will increase the bet and while lucky sometimes, he's come a cropper lately.
Definition of cropper in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan