The process by which bacteria or other microorganisms are unintentionally transferred from one substance or object to another, with harmful effect.
- Keeping your hands, utensils and food surfaces clean can prevent cross-contamination.
- Changes in laboratory techniques were designed to minimize the possibility of cross-contamination during batch processing.
- Most of the consumers surveyed indicated they comply with these practices, particularly in reducing cross-contamination after contact with raw fish, meat, or chicken.
- Example sentences
- These organisms can potentially sicken people who eat undercooked or cross-contaminated food.
- A conscientious technician would have used a separate pair of scissors for each cutting, or at least would have cleaned the scissors between cuttings, to avoid cross-contaminating the samples.
- Avoid cross-contaminating other foods, utensils, hands, or food preparation surfaces with fluid from hot dog packages or deli meats.
Definition of cross-contamination in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.