Definition of cross-contamination in English:
The process by which bacteria or other microorganisms are unintentionally transferred from one substance or object to another, with harmful effect.
- Keeping your hands, utensils and food surfaces clean can prevent cross-contamination.
- Changes in laboratory techniques were designed to minimize the possibility of cross-contamination during batch processing.
- Most of the consumers surveyed indicated they comply with these practices, particularly in reducing cross-contamination after contact with raw fish, meat, or chicken.
- Example sentences
- These organisms can potentially sicken people who eat undercooked or cross-contaminated food.
- A conscientious technician would have used a separate pair of scissors for each cutting, or at least would have cleaned the scissors between cuttings, to avoid cross-contaminating the samples.
- Avoid cross-contaminating other foods, utensils, hands, or food preparation surfaces with fluid from hot dog packages or deli meats.
Definition of cross-contamination in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan