1Fertilize (a plant) using pollen from another plant of the same species.
- Canola pollen can also cross-fertilise related plants such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and many common weed species.
- For example, he cites their unwillingness to concede that pollen from GM crops could cross-fertilize nearby conventional or organic varieties.
- In a typical experiment he cross-fertilized plants grown from green seeds with plants grown from yellow seeds and found that the resulting hybrid seeds were all yellow.
1.1 [no object] (Of two plants) fertilize each other.
- The potential for hybridization is supported by the fact that the three species cross-fertilize in the lab.
- Botanists have classically viewed this polymorphism as an outcrossing mechanism, since in most situations reciprocal morphs can only cross-fertilize.
- But the ecosystem is too interdependent for GM and non-GM crops to coexist without cross-fertilising.
2Stimulate the development of (something) with an exchange of ideas or information: sessions between the two groups cross-fertilize ideas and provide insights
More example sentences
- This is precisely how astrological ideas cross-fertilise each other and grow.
- Music defines place not by isolating it, but rather by opening its borders so that different genres, styles, and repertories cross the borders and cross-fertilize one another.
- First, do the different organizations that are discussed in the various chapters cross-fertilize one another?
- Example sentences
- Flowers of this species are protogynous, visited by a good variety of insects, and capable of both self-and cross-fertilization.
- In this case it appears that male sterility caused self-fertilization to fail but some days later cross-fertilization took place.
- While the flower is fully capable of cross-fertilization, the tree is so self-compatible that the majority of the fruits are usually self-fertilized.
Definition of cross-fertilize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.