Definition of cross-fertilize in English:
1Fertilize (a plant) using pollen from another plant of the same species.
- Canola pollen can also cross-fertilise related plants such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and many common weed species.
- For example, he cites their unwillingness to concede that pollen from GM crops could cross-fertilize nearby conventional or organic varieties.
- In a typical experiment he cross-fertilized plants grown from green seeds with plants grown from yellow seeds and found that the resulting hybrid seeds were all yellow.
1.1 [no object] (Of two plants) fertilize each other.
- The potential for hybridization is supported by the fact that the three species cross-fertilize in the lab.
- Botanists have classically viewed this polymorphism as an outcrossing mechanism, since in most situations reciprocal morphs can only cross-fertilize.
- But the ecosystem is too interdependent for GM and non-GM crops to coexist without cross-fertilising.
2Stimulate the development of (something) with an exchange of ideas or information: sessions between the two groups cross-fertilize ideas and provide insights
More example sentences
- This is precisely how astrological ideas cross-fertilise each other and grow.
- Music defines place not by isolating it, but rather by opening its borders so that different genres, styles, and repertories cross the borders and cross-fertilize one another.
- First, do the different organizations that are discussed in the various chapters cross-fertilize one another?
- Example sentences
- Flowers of this species are protogynous, visited by a good variety of insects, and capable of both self-and cross-fertilization.
- In this case it appears that male sterility caused self-fertilization to fail but some days later cross-fertilization took place.
- While the flower is fully capable of cross-fertilization, the tree is so self-compatible that the majority of the fruits are usually self-fertilized.
Definition of cross-fertilize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan