- 1(Of timber) having a grain that runs across the regular grain.More example sentences
- Complementing the bookmatched crotch mahogany veneers of the panels and drawer faces are the cross-grained rosewood facings of the finial plinth, doorframes, and drawer banding.
- The lower portions of the bookcase doors have panels of crotch mahogany set within cross-grained and mitred satinwood surrounds.
- The drawer openings were defined by cross-grained half-round moldings glued directly to the case.
- 1.1Stubbornly contrary or bad-tempered: Bruce was a cross-grained and boastful individualMore example sentences
- One can see that his colleagues must have regarded him as a cross-grained old curmudgeon.
- How should you like it if any cross-grained brute should call you Mr M the moment he chose to be uncivil?
- The reaction in the Scottish Parliament this week said a lot about our MSPs and their cross-grained views.