Definition of crossbill in English:
A thickset finch with a crossed bill adapted for extracting seeds from the cones of conifers. The plumage is typically red in the male and olive green in the female.
- Genus Loxia, family Fringillidae: four species, in particular the widespread red (or common) crossbill (L. curvirostra)
- Chickadees, crossbills, goldfinches, nuthatches, siskins, and woodpeckers pick the winged seeds out of pine and spruce cones.
- The forest is, of course, most famous for its ospreys but Peter says the Scottish crossbill, wonderfully adapted for life in the pine forest, is also a local treasure.
- In turn, the crossbills in the squirrel-less areas have evolved deeper bills, thereby partly countering the cones' defenses.
Definition of crossbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia