A medieval bow of a kind that is fixed across a wooden support and has a groove for the bolt and a mechanism for drawing and releasing the string.
- The movie features many different races using many different types of longbows and crossbows in warfare.
- They used the cars for cover, effectively avoiding the badly-aimed wooden bolts of crossbows.
- It houses thousands of weapons, including guns and ammunition, knives, knuckledusters, coshes, crossbows and swords.
crossbowmannoun (plural crossbowmen)
- Example sentences
- He quickly formed his army up to meet an attack, but his crossbowmen were still on the other side of the river.
- The crusaders consisted mainly of knights and some crossbowmen.
- Dozens of sentries and crossbowmen kept watch on the battlements, and mounted cavalry patrolled the keep walls and the surrounding area.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of crossbow in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.