Definition of crosscurrent in English:
1A current in a river or sea that flows across another.
- The trick once down was to keep an eye on bubbles and fish behaviour for telltale signs of cross-currents and whirlpools.
- Anchors are installed on both sides of the roadway to maintain its position in cross-currents and tide changes.
- The pictures showed that when the water reached a certain speed, it began to break into eddies, waves and cross-currents.
2A process or tendency that is in conflict with another: strong crosscurrents of debate
More example sentences
- Nonetheless, the economy continues to be buffeted by strong cross-currents.
- But before we get too carried away, it is worth noting that we are expecting some strong cross-currents over the coming months.
- Major art often flourishes on the fault lines between civilizations, fed by complex cross-currents between one form of life and another.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan