Definition of crossing in English:
1A place where two roads, two railroad lines, or a road and a railroad line cross.
- He admitted building the double line would cause more train traffic at the railway crossings.
- The barrier at the railway crossing did not function well and the bell did not ring.
- The two-day initiative is to target high-risk drivers at railway crossings and perform general driver safety and education blitzes.
1.1The action of moving across or over something: the crossing of the Pyrenees
More example sentences
- The issue of Mexican immigration and border crossing is reversed, as Americans stream toward the border, only to be forbidden entry by Mexican patrols.
- The feat of getting so many men across the forbidden mountain range which separates the west coast of Chile from the jungle on the east was reminiscent of Hannibal's crossing of the Alps.
- It is estimated that it will cost £20m to cut the cost of the tolls, and that a cut in the cost of crossing from the island to the mainland could create 200 jobs.
1.2A journey across water in a ship: a short ferry crossing
More example sentences
- The first successful crossing by ship would not occur until Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen set out in 1903.
- The rough crossing in the cold and choppy waters from the U.K. to the shores of North America took 10 days.
- In fact it was considered too rough even to send the dive centre boat to collect us, so we made the 20-minute crossing by ferry.
1.3A place at which one may safely cross something, especially a street.
- This rulemaking covers access to public rights-of-way, sidewalks, street crossings and related pedestrian facilities.
- The crossing should safely assist pedestrians to the Victoria Recreation Ground, as well as to a nearby scout hut and nursery.
- The regulatory committee also agreed that plans for a proposed crossing should be supported.
1.4A place at which one can cross a border between countries.
- Until earlier this month, travellers at this remote desert border crossing could enter Iraq without a visa.
- That border crossing will make a profound and irreversible difference.
- Every town, city or border crossing is a bustle of trade.
- The crossing was done between phenotypically uniform plants.
- Hybridization of bovine species is either spontaneous or by organized crossing.
- With man's manipulation, however, by taking the pollen from one flower to another and isolating them while the seed pod forms, the number of permutations for crossing is endless.
Words that rhyme with crossingself-sacrificing
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.