Definition of crossmatch in English:
verb[with object] (often as noun crossmatching)
Test the compatibility of (a donor’s and a recipient’s blood or tissue).
- The physician orders a unit of red blood cells to be crossmatched for a transfusion later that day.
- This is relevant for junior medical staff taking samples for blood grouping and crossmatching.
- The patient's blood is grouped and crossmatched.
nounBack to top
An instance of crossmatching.
- The patient was transfused following a biologic crossmatch in an attempt to maintain hemoglobin and hematocrit levels.
- Since the crossmatch uses the patient's serum, which may lack potency, donors who are weakly positive for the antigen may be mistakenly called compatible.
- Repeated pretransfusion and posttransfusion crossmatches were also performed.
Definition of crossmatch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan