(also crossword puzzle)
- A puzzle consisting of a grid of squares and blanks into which words crossing vertically and horizontally are written according to clues.More example sentences
- Work your mind with brain-teasers, jigsaw puzzles, crosswords or quiz books.
- They dig for juicy details as adroitly as they do the crossword and jigsaw puzzles that they plug away at.
- The events, such as word games and crosswords will be organised by resource persons throughout the day.
said to have been invented by the journalist Arthur Wynne, whose puzzle (called a “word-cross”) appeared in a Sunday newspaper, the New York World, on December 21, 1913.
More definitions of crosswordDefinition of crossword in:
- The British & World English dictionary