- 1The part of the human body between the legs where they join the torso.More example sentences
- Hip circumference was defined as the widest point, between the iliac crest and the crotch.
- He hung there, layered with ice as hailstones formed, a grey powdery coating rushing out of the mauve and grey mist, invading his ears and nostrils, feathering his eyebrows, freezing his crotch.
- I had worn lightweight jogging shorts and knew that on certain equipment, particularly upright bikes and straddled equipment, the crotch might be exposed.
- 1.1The part of a garment that passes between the legs.More example sentences
- One way to solve your problem is to wear trousers that are longer from the crotch to the waistband.
- Trousers should be worn on your hips, preferably with a low-rise, which is a shorter distance between the top of the waistband and the crotch of your pants.
- The length from the crotch to the waistband is called the rise.
- 1.2A fork in a tree, road, or river.More example sentences
- They typically nest in a horizontal fork or vertical crotch of a tree.
- Wild orchids and bromehads find homes in the crotches of many trees.
- The nest, a platform made from thin sticks, lined with bark and greenery, is typically placed at a major crotch in a tree, 25-50 feet off the ground.
mid 16th century (denoting an agricultural or garden fork, also a crutch): perhaps related to Old French croche 'crozier, shepherd's crook', based on Old Norse krókr 'hook'; partly also a variant of crutch.