An African crane with a yellowish bristly crest, a mainly black or dark gray body, much white on the wings, and pink and white cheeks.
- Genus Balearica, family Gruidae: two species, in particular the (black) crowned crane (B. pavonina)
More example sentences
- It houses over 50 individual birds made up of 12 different species including the sacred ibis, crowned cranes, hammerkop, white-cheeked touraco and lilac breasted roller.
- We came across approximately 150 gray crowned cranes - Uganda's national bird - feeding in pastures.
- In separate marsh habitats there are cranes too, the crowned crane from Africa, the Manchurian crane from the Orient and our own Sarus.
Definition of crowned crane in:
- The British & World English dictionary