An African crane with a yellowish bristly crest, a mainly black or dark gray body, much white on the wings, and pink and white cheeks.
- Genus Balearica, family Gruidae: two species, in particular the (black) crowned crane (B. pavonina)
More example sentences
- It houses over 50 individual birds made up of 12 different species including the sacred ibis, crowned cranes, hammerkop, white-cheeked touraco and lilac breasted roller.
- We came across approximately 150 gray crowned cranes - Uganda's national bird - feeding in pastures.
- In separate marsh habitats there are cranes too, the crowned crane from Africa, the Manchurian crane from the Orient and our own Sarus.
More definitions of crowned craneDefinition of crowned crane in:
- The British & World English dictionary