(also crucian carp)
A small olive-green to reddish-brown European carp of still or slow-moving waters, important as a farmed fish in eastern Europe.
- Carassius carassius, family Cyprinidae
More example sentences
- Ron likes the match lake as it has a good head of mixed fish including carp, roach, bream, orfe, crucians and some good koi.
- However, pike, salmon, sea trout, brown trout, rainbow trout, carp, crucian carp, tench, chub, barbel, zander and other exotic species have all been caught.
- There are also rudd, bream, eels, gudgeon, crucian carp, tench, minnows, perch, sticklebacks, the odd trout, pike and barbel present.
mid 18th century: from Low German karusse, karutze, perhaps based on Latin coracinus, from Greek korax 'raven', also denoting a black fish found in the Nile.
More definitions of crucianDefinition of crucian in:
- The British & World English dictionary