- Of, relating to, or denoting plants of the cabbage family (Brassicaceae, formerly Cruciferae).More example sentences
- Broccoli, along with cauliflower and cabbage, belongs to the family of plants known as cruciferous vegetables, which are rich with antioxidants.
- DNA sequence variations of chalcone synthase and Apetala3 gene promoters from 22 cruciferous plant species were analyzed to identify putative conserved regulatory elements.
- On the world scene, diamondback moth is ranked as the major insect pest of a large number of commercially grown cruciferous plants, including canola.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Cruciferae (plural), from Latin crux, cruc- 'cross' + -fer 'bearing' (because the flowers have four equal petals arranged crosswise), + -ous.
More definitions of cruciferousDefinition of cruciferous in:
- The British & World English dictionary