- A thick, flat, savory cake with a soft, porous texture, made from a yeast mixture cooked on a griddle and eaten toasted and buttered.More example sentences
- Enjoy beautifully prepared cakes and pastries, or a full afternoon tea with sandwiches, toasted buttered crumpets and scones, while you are transported back in time.
- At home my father tears open a packet of crumpets and toasts them on the Aga.
- Staffordshire oatcakes are thicker and round, more like a thin crumpet or modern pikelet, and are fried with bacon for breakfast.
late 17th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of crumpetDefinition of crumpet in:
- The British & World English dictionary