- (Of a lichen or alga) forming or resembling a crust.More example sentences
- This tome includes detailed entries on more than 800 foliose, fruticose, and crustose lichens; essays on the biology, structure, uses, and ecological significance of these plants; and hundreds of color photographs.
- These two genera are common crustose lichens on coniferous tree trunks.
- In foliose lichens, there is a second cortex below the medulla, but in crustose and squamulose lichens, the medulla is in direct contact with the underlying substrate, to which the lichen is attached.
late 19th century: from Latin crustosus, from crusta (see crust).
More definitions of crustoseDefinition of crustose in:
- The British & World English dictionary