Definition of crypt in English:
1An underground room or vault beneath a church, used as a chapel or burial place.
- Thirteen additional art works were packed into the central aisle, adjacent chapels and underground crypts of the church.
- It is thought possible that the bones could have been buried beneath an old crypt under the original chapel or that they could have been moved from a nearby burial site.
- In the catacombs of the Capuchin crypt beneath Chiesa di Santa Maria della Concezione, Rome, the bones of 4000 monks are arranged in Baroque patterns on the ceilings.
2 Anatomy A small tubular gland, pit, or recess.
- The epithelium, often with villi, crypts, and glands, simulates the normal mucosa of the gut.
- There was no atypical gland or crypt abscess in the mucosa.
- The pharyngeal tonsil does not possess true crypts but rather widened ducts of underlying glands.