nounBotany , dated
- The Myxomycetes represent the only group of cryptogams with species only known from the tree canopy.
- In this subzone, herbaceous dicots, grasses, rushes, and cryptogams are dominant, and woody plants and sedges are absent.
- Students rotated from one scientist to another, assisting with data collection, and gained insight into each scientist's particular area (wetland ecology, cryptogams, syntaxonomy, floristics, or natural history).
- Example sentences
- However, the cell walls of cryptogamous plants, such as bryophytes and pteridophytes, have received little attention, and so the peculiarities of the wall-polysaccharides in these plants have yet to be fully understood.
- Ferns and fern allies are cryptogamous plants of the phylum Polypodiophyta.
- Fern is a common name for the cryptogamous, or spore-producing, plants belonging to the division Filicophyta, also called Filicinophyta.
Mid 19th century: from French cryptogame, from modern Latin cryptogamae (plantae), denoting nonflowering plants, from Greek kruptos 'hidden' + gamos 'marriage' (because the means of reproduction was not apparent).
Definition of cryptogam in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.