Definition of cryptogram in English:
1A text written in code.
- Others look at security as a kind of puzzle, like the cryptograms on the comics page of the newspaper, only with more at stake.
- Melvin Way makes cryptograms in which he embeds formulas and diagrams intricately woven from letters, words, phrases, numbers, and designs.
- In a book like this, one would expect to discover some allegorical message or a hidden cryptogram.
2A symbol or figure with secret or occult significance.
- In his later years, he assembled a book of Biblical passages showing that his discoveries were a prelude to the Day of Judgment, and took to signing his name with an elaborate Christological cryptogram.
- The inverted five-pointed star, or Cross of Malta is used as a cryptogram for Baphomet.
- Bradley raised his arm and checked the tenderness of his forearm; four cryptograms were carved into his flesh.
Words that rhyme with cryptogrampentagram • photogram
Definition of cryptogram in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan