Definition of cubism in English:
An early 20th-century style and movement in art, especially painting, in which perspective with a single viewpoint was abandoned and use was made of simple geometric shapes, interlocking planes, and, later, collage.
- The early analytic cubism of Pablo Picasso and Georges Braque sought to capture the essence of subjects in ‘simultaneous vision’ by eliminating point of view, distance and lighting.
- Analytical cubism is generally considered the early phase of cubism.
- By ‘Egyptian style’ Rousseau meant the elements of African tribal art that Picasso and other artists had assimilated when they developed the art movement known as cubism.
- Example sentences
- With the arrogant humility of an important young artist, he schooled himself in the most advanced art of his time - notably the work of Picasso and the cubists.
- The French cubist painter Georges Braque once said that art is made to disturb, while science reassures.
- The museum, featuring the works of artists like Matisse and Picasso, holds one of the largest collections of cubist, surrealist and abstract art.
- Example sentences
- The National Museum in Hanoi is filled with works of this kind, as well as a number of cubistic and expressionistic works by Vietnamese artists who adapted aspects of European art movements.
- In Bombay, he made cubistic dislocation and juxtaposition seem intrinsic to the Indian street, but then his work had been turning away from classical order for two decades.
- Their multiple reflections presented a cubistic fragmentation of the sky, the skylight lattice and bits of the adjacent building.
Words that rhyme with cubismegoism • truism • Babism
Definition of cubism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan