Definition of cuckoo bee in English:
A bee that lays its eggs in the nest of another species of bee, the young being raised and fed by the host.
- Nomada and related genera (which parasitize solitary bees), and Psithyrus (which parasitize bumblebees), family Apidae
- Look for cuckoo bees flying low over the ground and foliage, hunting for foraging and nesting victims.
- Mated female cuckoo bees hibernate through the winter, and emerge in the spring later than their hosts.
- Typically, cuckoo bees that prey on solitary bees enter the nest to lay eggs while the host is out foraging.
Definition of cuckoo bee in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan