A spring-flowering, herbaceous plant with pale lilac flowers, growing in damp meadows and by streams.
- Cardamine pratensis, family Brassicaceae
More example sentences
- The meadows support a range of grasses and plants including the lilac-coloured blooms of cuckooflower or lady's smock.
- A stretch of damp marshy grassland containing rush species and occasional cuckooflowers runs along the western perimeter of the Southern Meadow.
- Gama Valley is famous for the luxuriantly green forest, colorful cuckooflowers, limpid spring, deep and steep gorges and various birds.
late 16th century: so named because it flowers at the time of year when the cuckoo is first heard calling.
Definition of cuckooflower in:
- The British & World English dictionary