Definition of cucurbit in English:
A plant of the gourd family (Cucurbitaceae), which includes melon, pumpkin, squash, and cucumber.
- Plant cucurbit seeds such as pumpkin, cucumber, melons, etc.
- Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca fuliginea.
- The book devotes 30 pages to cucurbits, from giant pumpkins through marrows, zucchinis and cucumbers to back-scratching loofahs.
- Example sentences
- In cucumber, muskmelon, and other cucurbitaceous seeds, a thin envelope completely encloses the embryo.
- When cucurbitaceous seeds germinate in an orientation such that the radicle emerges pointing downwards, two small pegs grow out from opposite sides of the transition zone between the hypocotyls and the root.
- It is advisable to sow plants far from vegetable crops, especially cucurbitaceous plantings.
Definition of cucurbit in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan