A plant of the gourd family (Cucurbitaceae), which includes melon, pumpkin, squash, and cucumber.
More example sentences
- Plant cucurbit seeds such as pumpkin, cucumber, melons, etc.
- Powdery mildew in the cucurbit family is caused by the organism Sphaerotheca fuliginea.
- The book devotes 30 pages to cucurbits, from giant pumpkins through marrows, zucchinis and cucumbers to back-scratching loofahs.
late Middle English: from Old French cucurbite, from Latin cucurbita.
- More example sentences
- In cucumber, muskmelon, and other cucurbitaceous seeds, a thin envelope completely encloses the embryo.
- When cucurbitaceous seeds germinate in an orientation such that the radicle emerges pointing downwards, two small pegs grow out from opposite sides of the transition zone between the hypocotyls and the root.
- It is advisable to sow plants far from vegetable crops, especially cucurbitaceous plantings.
Definition of cucurbit in:
- The British & World English dictionary