Definition of cultivator in English:
1A person or thing that cultivates something: they were herders of cattle and cultivators of corn
More example sentences
- The distinction was basically about categories of people, founded originally on their occupations as cattle herders or cultivators.
- Front-mounted or belly-mounted cultivators, or pusher cultivators on bi-directional tractors, are far easier to keep on the row and work close enough to the crop plants.
- In periods of drought, weeds may go into a semi-dormancy, leading farmers to stop cultivating or to set cultivators less aggressively.
1.1A mechanical implement for breaking up the soil and uprooting weeds.
- Sometimes referred to as a hand fork, the cultivator is used for weeding, and as its name implies, for cultivating the soil.
- Special cultivators and weed brushes developed for use in narrow-row spaced crops can be used in seedbeds that are grown in rows.
- He shows off his three-tined cultivators (key to weed control in narrow intensive beds).
Definition of cultivator in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan