- A small, brightly colored, solitary coral with tentacles that end in small knobs, sometimes found in colder seas.
More example sentences
- Genus Caryophyllia, order Scleractinia (or Madreporaria): several species, including the Devonshire cup coral (C. smithi), of European waters
- There are writhing carpets of brittle stars, as well as patches with the occasional cup coral and dead man's finger.
- With clever camouflage techniques, golden wentletraps and their eggs are almost invisible against the cup coral host.
- We found boxer crabs (they are still there!) and blue ring octopus at Siladen, cup coral snails at Manado Tua, and ghost pipefish near the famous giant clams at Fukui.
More definitions of cup coralDefinition of cup coral in:
- The British & World English dictionary