Definition of cup lichen in English:
A greenish-gray lichen that has small, cuplike structures arising from its spreading lobes and is found typically on heathland and moorland.
- Genus Cladonia, order Cladoniales: many species
- Early colonisers are matchstick lichens, followed by cup lichens and finally bearded lichens which reach their maximum development and cover after 10 years.
- Mosses and pixi cup lichens cohabit the top of an old spruce stump.
- The lichen flora of the bog is well developed with as many as 10 different species of Cladonia which include bearded lichen, antler horn lichen, cup lichen and matchstick lichen.
Definition of cup lichen in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan