Definition of cupola in English:
1A small dome, especially a small dome on a drum on top of a larger dome, adorning a roof or ceiling.
- The scaffolding reaches to the top of the cupola that adorns the roof giving the builders a perch almost 100 feet up.
- The large building is built in the traditional style with barrel vaulted ceilings and cupolas.
- It has arcades all around, a pavilion at the eastern end has crenellated roof and a cupola of glass mosaic.
1.1A gun turret; a small domed hatch above a gun turret on some tanks.
- Atop the all-welded turret are the commander's cupola (with single hatch cover) on the left and the loader's hatch on the right.
- Firing ports are provided for the crews' personal weapons and a machine-gun mounting is fitted on the left turret cupola with an optional machine-gun.
- As he watched, a hatch motored open on the forward gunner's cupola and a helmeted visage favored him with a toothy, wolfish grin.
1.2 (also cupola furnace) A cylindrical furnace for refining metals, with openings at the bottom for blowing in air and originally with a dome leading to a chimney above.
- It erected the first cupola furnace in the United States in 1835.
- And after John Wilkinson patented the small, slender, metal-clad cupola furnace in 1794, Founders gained greater control of the remelting process.
- In duplexing, the iron is melted in a cupola or electric arc furnace, and the molten metal is transferred to a coreless or channel-type induction furnace for holding and pouring.
- Example sentences
- An interesting item here was a large, framed photograph of a huge, cupolaed mansion typical of the early 70's.
- Its cupolaed pavilions and trellised balconies formed a good background for the actors.
- At the highest point in town is the cupolaed state capitol, and directly in front of the state capitol is a statue of George Washington.
Definition of cupola in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.