Definition of curbstone in English:
1A long, narrow stone or concrete block, laid end to end with others to form a curb.
- Brezhnev, who finally helped unseat him, recalled that Khrushchev had once called his Kremlin colleagues "dogs peeing on curbstones."
- One of them is a construction worker who can unload heavy curbstones by hand.
- Many towns are installing crisp new granite curbstones along their streets to replace the crumbling concrete that replaced earlier granite curbstones.
1.1 [as modifier] informal Unqualified; amateur: curbstone commentators
More example sentences
- Even in their first meeting on the street, he practically glows when referring to her ‘curbstone English, the English that will keep her all her days in the gutter.’
- I was also amazed that only one poll takes precautions against the ‘curbstone’ problem - which is when the interviewers just make the results up.
Definition of curbstone in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan