Definition of currant gall in English:
A spherical red or purple gall that forms on the leaves or male catkins of oak trees in response to the developing larva of a gall wasp. It results from eggs laid in the spring and alternates with the spangle gall.
- The wasp is Neuroterus quercusbaccarum, family Cynipidae
- The black currant gall mites are the small white worm-like creatures between the bud tissues.
- Look up oak apples, marble galls, currant galls etc. in an insect book - there are over 20 types on oak alone.
- Common insects include the San Jose scale, currant borer, and black currant gall mite.
Definition of currant gall in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.