Definition of curvature in English:
1The fact of being curved or the degree to which something is curved: spinal curvature the curvature of the earth it has a distinct curvature near the middle
More example sentences
- So are you ready to be bedazzled by the Barcelona curves and curvatures?
- The curvatures of the electronically controlled seats and backs can be individually adjusted.
- It is the most graceful of birds in flight and its body curvatures and wing span excite all who witness it.
1.1 Geometry The degree to which a curve deviates from a straight line, or a curved surface deviates from a plane.
- This illustrates around the periphery the effects of vignetting - loss of brightness and focus - and curvature of straight lines, typical of camera obscura images generally.
- In fact the work was of such quality that Weingarten received a prize for work on the lines of curvature of a surface in 1857.
- Joachimsthal surfaces are named after him, these have a family of plane lines of curvature within the plane of a pencil.
1.2A numerical quantity expressing this.
- A deeper characterization of a helix is that it is the unique curve in 3-space for which the ratio of curvature to torsion is a constant, a result known as Lancret's Theorem.
- Therefore, origami models have constant zero Gauss curvature at each interior vertex.
- Among other results, he classified simply connected Riemannian 3-manifolds of constant curvature in this thesis.
Definition of curvature in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.