- Most of the money collected by customs comes from import duties on mineral fuels, petrol, gas, machinery, equipment and automobiles.
- Companies must deposit the tariffs at Chinese customs in order to import the goods, the ministry said.
- Career trade negotiators who set tariff rates have little contact with the customs officers who collect the money.
- Willie worked as a home finance adviser for Barclays Bank and used names from a database at work to help the drug smugglers get through airport customs checks.
- This would have disguised the smell from dogs used by customs officials to check for drugs.
- At the airport, however, there was no customs check, and there were no immigration officials.
- To make power affordable, we were expecting elimination of customs duty on import of fuels for power generation and other sops.
- The customs duty on imports was at first designed only to raise revenue.
- Each party is free, however, to determine unilaterally the level of customs duty on imports coming from outside the area.
Late Middle English: originally in the singular, denoting a customary due paid to a ruler, later duty levied on goods on their way to market.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.