- A person who makes or sells cutlery.More example sentences
- In New York, Lucas & Shepard, white smiths and cutlers from Birmingham and Sheffield, made ‘steel pads with sets of bits.’
- Two suggestions for the guild are the cutlers (who would use ivory for handles) and locksmiths (for whom both elephants and castles would symbolise security).
- Mirror makers, picture framers, artists, cutlers, wig-makers, glass sellers, haberdashers and tailors all jostled for business alongside numerous coffee houses and taverns.
Middle English: from Old French coutelier, from coutel 'knife', from Latin cultellus, diminutive of culter 'knife, plowshare'. Compare with coulter.
More definitions of cutlerDefinition of cutler in:
- The British & World English dictionary