- A cuttlefish.More example sentences
- The Chinese, remarking that ‘the cuttle has ink in its bosom’, have called it ‘the clerk of the god of the sea’.
- Calamari, cob-fish, and mussel had intermediate concentrations, and sole, cuttle, frog-fish, scampi, and hen clam had the lowest concentrations.
- But often a cocktail of mackerel strips combined with squid or cuttle will prove to be the ‘dish of the day’ as far as big ling are concerned.
Old English cudele 'cuttlefish', of Germanic origin; related to codd 'bag', with reference to its ink bag.
More definitions of cuttleDefinition of cuttle in:
- The British & World English dictionary