Definition of cyanosis in English:
A bluish discoloration of the skin resulting from poor circulation or inadequate oxygenation of the blood.
- The skin and mucous membranes should be inspected for cyanosis, pallor, ecchymoses, telangiectasia, gingivitis, or evidence of bleeding from the oral or nasal mucosa.
- Infants with coxsackie myocarditis have trouble breathing and sometimes develop cyanosis, a bluish color of the skin, lips, and nails caused by too little oxygen in the blood.
- There was no clubbing, cyanosis, edema, arthritis, lymphadenopathy, or rash.
- Example sentences
- In children, clubbing usually occurs with cystic fibrosis or uncorrected cyanotic congenital heart disease.
- People with congenital diseases of the heart or lungs, such as cyanotic congenital heart disease, are at high risk of infections which can then spread to the brain.
- The listing of aortic atresia as cyanotic is arguable, according to my pediatric cardiology associates; I have never chosen to include it as such in my annual lectures to medical students, but perhaps I should reconsider.
Definition of cyanosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.