Definition of cyclic in English:
1Occurring in cycles; regularly repeated: the cyclic pattern of the last two decades
More example sentences
- The evolution of the universe could be cyclic, with regularly repeating periods of expansion and contraction.
- The new terror was cyclic, and the cycle took exactly a century to complete.
- Pepper, like some other fruit vegetables, shows a cyclic growth pattern where periods of high fruit set and slow fruit growth alternate with periods of low fruit set and rapid fruit growth.
1.2Relating to or denoting a musical or literary composition with a recurrent theme or structural device.
- His own composition classes were solidly based on a historical foundation of Gregorian chant, Palestrinian and Bachian polyphony, Beethoven's symphonic language, and Franck's technique of cyclic themes.
- The Quartet is a cyclic composition full of fine music ranging from the eloquent to the virtuosic.
- The oeuvre includes the formally ingenious Violin Sonata no.l, its finale a set of cyclic variations recapitulating in reverse order the themes of the entire work.
2.1 Geometry (Of a polygon) having all its vertices lying on a circle.
- This information is independent both of the orientation chosen for the plane and of the orientation for the polygon specified by the cyclic order of its vertices.
- The expression for the radius of the circle in which a cyclic quadrilateral is inscribed, given in terms of the sides of the quadrilateral, is usually attributed to Lhuilier in 1782.
- Since Tucker hexagons are cyclic, so are the hexagons of the six circumcenters at hand.
2.2 Chemistry (Of a compound) having a molecular structure containing one or more closed rings of atoms.
- He theorized that the structure of these compounds were long, chainlike molecules and not aggregates or cyclic compounds as previously thought.
- The basic mode of action is to make the cyclic structure a straight chain molecule.
- By sharing two oxygen atoms, silicates can form either cyclic or chain structures.
Definition of cyclic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan