- A fish of a large group that includes the carps, suckers, and loaches, and (in some classification schemes) the characins.
More example sentences
- Order Cypriniformes or superfamily Cyprinoidea
- Everywhere in fresh waters, except in Australia, species of little cyprinoids or characoids are the principal forage fishes on which larger predators feed.
- Other groups of fishes that are prominent in the collection include: characoids, cyprinoids, neotropical catfishes, sunfishes, gobies, blennies, serranids and flatfishes.
- The cyprinoids, which are absent from South America, dominate the freshwaters of tropical Asia and the north-temperate zone of Eurasia.
adjectiveBack to top
- Of or relating to cyprinoid fish.More example sentences
- Among the naturally occurring fresh water fish, cyprinoid fish are among the dominating species as they successfully breed and reproduce in natural water reservoirs, streams or rivers and are being caught daily.
- The fluke utilizes, respectively, freshwater snails and cyprinoid fish as its first and second intermediate hosts.
- Infection with these food-borne parasites is prevalent in areas where uncooked cyprinoid fish are a staple of the diet.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Cyprinoidea, based on Latin cyprinus 'carp' (from Greek kuprinos).
More definitions of cyprinoidDefinition of cyprinoid in:
- The British & World English dictionary