- 1In an animal or plant, a thin-walled, hollow organ or cavity containing a liquid secretion; a sac, vesicle, or bladder.More example sentences
- In the lumen of the cysts, eosinophilic or blue secretions were frequently seen, with sometimes targetoid secretion.
- The epithelial cells lining the cyst contained abundant mucin vacuoles that filled the cytoplasm of the luminal half of the cells.
- 1.1 Medicine In the body, a membranous sac or cavity of abnormal character containing fluid.More example sentences
- We removed an aspergilloma located in the right lower lobe of the lung in a 48-year-old woman with a bronchial cyst and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sometimes a thin needle is used to puncture the cyst and take out fluid to test for the Echinococcus infection.
- The walls of the cysts were mostly membranous with variable thickness.
- 1.2A tough protective capsule enclosing the larva of a parasitic worm or the resting stage of an organism.More example sentences
- Resting cysts represent a dormant stage in which normal life processes are greatly reduced.
- The cysts contain tapeworm larvae that develop into adult worms in people who eat under-cooked or raw meat from an infested pig.
- One gram of fecal matter can contain 10 million viruses, one million bacteria, 1,000 parasite cysts, and 100 worm eggs.
early 18th century: from late Latin cystis, from Greek kustis 'bladder'.