- Any of a number of compounds consisting of heme bonded to a protein. Cytochromes function as electron transfer agents in many metabolic pathways, especially cellular respiration.More example sentences
- The majority of iron in humans is located in the porphyrin ring of heme that is incorporated into proteins and enzymes such as myoglobin, hemoglobin, cytochromes, catalases, and peroxidases.
- Hemoglobin, myoglobin, cytochromes, and other proteins are involved in oxygen transport and utilization.
- Iron is used in actively proliferating cells for cytochrome and DNA synthesis.
More definitions of cytochromeDefinition of cytochrome in:
- The British & World English dictionary