- A compound found in living tissue as a constituent base of nucleic acids. It is paired with guanine in double-stranded DNA.
More example sentences
- A pyrimidine derivative; chemical formula: C4H5N3O
- The nitrogen-containing units are the bases: adenine, cytosine, guanine, and uracil.
- In DNA the bases pair to form a ladder-like structure, with adenine paired with thymine and guanine with cytosine.
- The derivatives of purine are called adenine and guanine, and the derivatives of pyrimidine are called thymine, cytosine and uracil.
More definitions of cytosineDefinition of cytosine in:
- The British & World English dictionary