Definition of cytoskeleton in English:
A microscopic network of protein filaments and tubules in the cytoplasm of many living cells, giving them shape and coherence.
- There is evidence that the cell wall plays an integral role in axis fixation and it is proposed that fixation occurs as a result of cross linking between the actin cytoskeleton and the cell wall.
- Several techniques have been utilized to assess the mechanical properties of the cytoskeleton of various cell types.
- Dynamical rearrangements in the cytoskeleton enable cells to migrate, to divide, or to maintain their shape.
- Example sentences
- In eukaryotes, the movement of bivalent molecules along cytoskeletal filaments enables organelles and vesicles to be transported from one location in the cell to another.
- A more detailed model of the eukaryotic cell would include a cytoskeletal matrix that is surrounded by a lipid membrane.
- A prerequisite for living organisms is the regulated dynamics of the cytoskeletal elements.
Definition of cytoskeleton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan