- 1(In ancient Greek belief) a divinity or supernatural being of a nature between gods and humans.More example sentences
- Iamblichus also stressed that theurgists usually worked with lesser divinities - heroes, daimons and angels - and only the greatest of all, in exceptional circumstances, would trouble actual deities.
- I am an ancient daemon, and although I give the impression of being a model of youth and femininity, I have lived so many centuries I have begun to lose track.
- Exiled daemons are reincarnated into all sorts of living forms, finally coming to be as prophets, poets, physicians, and leaders among men.
- 1.1An inner or attendant spirit or inspiring force.More example sentences
- That's how the spirit is controlled - daemons are fiercely independent beings, if they can get away - they will.
- Casey's brain kicked into gear, her inner daemons flagging something from an old puzzle book.
- They ‘send’ - via Mercury - those inner daemons that are bent on shaking up and shattering limiting preconceptions of who we are and what our role in life is.
- 2 archaic spelling of demon1.More example sentences
- is the entire town possessed by a malevolent daemon, forcing people to worship it by carving its image into fruit and vegetables, and hanging its likeness in their windows?
- The ghosts are back; the manic daemons who make me think of spirits and kill the science.
- Many returned to the old idea that the child was an evil spirit, or daemon sent to punish the royal family.
- More example sentences
- I admire those proud, cold beings who adventure upon the paths of great and daemonic beauty and despise ‘mankind’; but I do not envy them.
- Thus, a purely aesthetic veneration for the old and defeated culture coexists with an intimation of its still unquiet daemonic power.
- Moreover, in Jacobean drama calculation and cynicism are typically coded as daemonic and intrigue is in league with Evil.
mid 16th century: common spelling of demon1 until the 19th century.
- A background process that handles requests for services such as print spooling and file transfers, and is dormant when not required.More example sentences
- Before you can start using the administration daemon over the network, you have to create a keytab file containing the key for one of the kadmin principals created when we initialized our realm.
- The slave component is run as a daemon (Unix) or system service (Win 32).
- I added this new line with an appropriate IP address for my subnet, and restarted the named daemon.
1980s: perhaps from d(isk) a(nd) e(xecution) mon(itor) or from de(vice) mon(itor), or merely a transferred use of demon1.