Definition of dahlia in English:
A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, cultivated for its brightly colored single or double flowers.
- Genus Dahlia, family Compositae
- For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.
- Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.
- Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.
Modern Latin, named in honor of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
Words that rhyme with dahliaAustralia, azalea, bacchanalia, Castalia, echolalia, genitalia, inter alia, Lupercalia, Mahalia, marginalia, paraphernalia, regalia, Saturnalia, Thalia, Westphalia
Definition of dahlia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.