Definition of dahlia in English:
A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, cultivated for its brightly colored single or double flowers.
- Genus Dahlia, family Compositae
- For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.
- Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.
- Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.
modern Latin, named in honor of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
Definition of dahlia in:
- British & World English dictionary