A tuberous-rooted Mexican plant of the daisy family, cultivated for its brightly colored single or double flowers.
- Genus Dahlia, family Compositae
More example sentences
- For late-summer color, plant begonias, dahlias, gladiolus, montbretia, and tigridia.
- Last year I underestimated the growth of my hostas and planted dahlias somewhere in their vicinity.
- Replace fading cool-season annuals with heat lovers like celosias, dahlias, marigolds, petunias, salvias, and verbenas.
modern Latin, named in honor of Andreas Dahl (1751–89), Swedish botanist.
More definitions of dahliaDefinition of dahlia in:
- The British & World English dictionary