noun (plural dairies)
1A building, room, or establishment for the storage, processing, and distribution of milk and milk products.
- Indeed, the need for cost-effective solutions and consumer-friendly features continues to impact the decisionmaking process among dairies.
- With the consolidation of dairies and building of more megaplants, the pressure is on to reduce costs.
- Currently fewer than a quarter of large hog operations and large dairies are spreading their manure on adequate crop land acreages to meet the new EPA guidelines.
1.1A store where milk and milk products are sold.
- The shop was a dairy that supplied milk to the boats in the harbour and involved long hours.
- Because so many farms have diversified in recent years there are often jobs for partners in bakeries, dairies and farm shops.
- When you support local dairies, bakeries, clothes shops, restaurants, butchers and local businesses and retailers in general, you are supporting local jobs and a vibrant local economy.
1.2Food made from or containing milk.
- When over the acute stage, avoid: alcohol, red meat, tobacco, spicy, greasy and fried foods and dairy.
- In these cases Dampness-engendering foods like dairy, citrus, and perhaps wheat may need to be eliminated from the diet.
- Most importantly we'd recommend consulting a medical practitioner or dietitian before excluding any major food group like dairy from the diet.
1Containing or made from milk: local dairy foods
More example sentences
- Experiment to determine your tolerance for dairy foods.
- Choose lean meats, poultry without skin, liquid plant oils instead of hydrogenated oils or butter, and skim-milk dairy foods.
- The DASH diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, and low fat dairy foods and reduced in total and saturated fat.
1.1Concerned with or involved in the production of milk: a dairy farmer
More example sentences
- This genetically modified hormone was designed to increase milk production in dairy cows.
- Death is not usual but animals cease gaining weight and milk production in dairy cattle falls.
- The competition rewards the country's top dairy farmers who produce milk with the highest protein content and with a firm eye to cost efficiency.
Words that rhyme with dairyairy, Azeri, canary, carabinieri, Carey, Cary, chary, clary, contrary, Dari, faerie, glairy, glary, Guarneri, hairy, lairy, miserere, nary, Nyerere, prairie, Salieri, scary, Tipperary, vary, wary
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of dairy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.