Definition of dairy in English:
noun (plural dairies)
1A building, room, or establishment for the storage, processing, and distribution of milk and milk products.
- Indeed, the need for cost-effective solutions and consumer-friendly features continues to impact the decisionmaking process among dairies.
- With the consolidation of dairies and building of more megaplants, the pressure is on to reduce costs.
- Currently fewer than a quarter of large hog operations and large dairies are spreading their manure on adequate crop land acreages to meet the new EPA guidelines.
1.1A store where milk and milk products are sold.
- The shop was a dairy that supplied milk to the boats in the harbour and involved long hours.
- Because so many farms have diversified in recent years there are often jobs for partners in bakeries, dairies and farm shops.
- When you support local dairies, bakeries, clothes shops, restaurants, butchers and local businesses and retailers in general, you are supporting local jobs and a vibrant local economy.
1.2Food made from or containing milk.
- When over the acute stage, avoid: alcohol, red meat, tobacco, spicy, greasy and fried foods and dairy.
- In these cases Dampness-engendering foods like dairy, citrus, and perhaps wheat may need to be eliminated from the diet.
- Most importantly we'd recommend consulting a medical practitioner or dietitian before excluding any major food group like dairy from the diet.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
1Containing or made from milk: local dairy foods
More example sentences
- As an ingredient, chocolate adds decadence to our dairy desserts.
- In dairy desserts such as mousses, the desired texture and air content determine the type and amount of cocoa powder to be used.
- Whether it's natural talent, culinary training, or the fact that he cooks with minimal oil and only occasionally uses dairy cream, the spices in his cuisine emerge with remarkable clarity.
1.1Concerned with or involved in the production of milk: a dairy farmer
More example sentences
- This genetically modified hormone was designed to increase milk production in dairy cows.
- Death is not usual but animals cease gaining weight and milk production in dairy cattle falls.
- The competition rewards the country's top dairy farmers who produce milk with the highest protein content and with a firm eye to cost efficiency.
Definition of dairy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan