nounarchaic or literary
A young unmarried woman.
- The young damsel has been captured by baddie pirate Barbossa because she possesses a rare coin.
- The story goes that a young damsel was at the top of the tower when she saw her husband gored to death by a stag he was hunting.
- He would never sense the spirit, the gaiety in courting a young damsel.
damsel in distress
- often humorous A young woman in trouble (with the implication that the woman needs to be rescued, as by a prince in a fairy tale).Example sentences
- Unlike many would-be damsels in distress, I never imagined myself being rescued by a knight in shining armor.
- I felt as if he was my angel, and I was the damsel in distress.
- Turrets, towers and battlements now look fit to accommodate any damsel in distress.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.